The Swiss MOOC Service is a MOOC platform based on the open edX technology. It is helping Swiss institutions of higher education to deliver the best education online.
The Swiss MOOC Service is made possible by a project funded by the P5 program of swissuniversities “Scientific information”.
Until September 2020, institutions of Swiss higher education can test the service free of charge. Other institutions, foundations and schools can also use the service. For more information about joining the Swiss MOOC Service, contact Patrick.Jermann@epfl.ch.
The main features of the Swiss MOOC Service are
- 100% Swiss hosting. The infrastructure we run our servers on is hosted on SWITCHengines in Switzerland.. The operations team is located at EPFL in Lausanne.
- Based on open edX. Open edX is a state of the art platform used across the world to distribute online courses at scale.
- Tailored to the needs of Swiss universities. Our developers from ETH, USI, SUPS and HES-SO work on adapting and extending functionalities of the platform to best serve the needs of the member universities.
- Compatibility with the Safe Exam Browser. SEB consists of a kiosk application that locks down the examination computer and communicates via the internet (or a LAN) with the quiz module the platform.
- MOOC maker community. We organise on-boarding workshops for new member universities as well as for the community of Swiss MOOC makers.